STEPHEN K. RUSH, Of Counsel
Areas of Concentration
Intellectual Property, Domestic & Foreign Music Publishing, Purchase & Sale of Catalogues, Commercial and Infringement Litigation, International Trade.
Mr. Rush is Of Counsel with the firm's business department. He has over 25 years of experience in the entertainment industry with a primary focus on music properties. He began with representing Opryland USA Inc. in the acquisition of a major music catalogue and went on to represent many clients in the acquisition, sale, and financing of other music catalogues, domestic and foreign. He has extensive litigation experience in the areas of copyright infringement, determination of IP ownership rights, defamation and first amendment issues of news broadcasts. On behalf of the Nashville Songwriters Association International (NSAI) Mr. Rush authored an amicus brief to the US Supreme Court in Elder v. Ashcroft in support of upholding the constitutionality of the Sony Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998 which the Court upheld in its 2003 decision.
He currently advises clients on the creation, development, and monetization of intellectual property (music, video including 3D, and Internet based content).
He uses his extensive experience and contacts in strategizing with creative people to facilitate the development of their new media projects.
Bar Association & Memberships
- Tennessee Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle and Eastern Districts of Tennessee
- The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE)
- Former Chairman of Tennessee District Export Council
- Former Director of World Trade Council of Middle Tennessee
- "Copyright Law Revision the American Way" IAEL Newsletter, Winter 1998-1999
- Vanderbilt University Law School, JD
- Stanford University BSME, MSME
415-882-5300, ext. 242